View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 09:24 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hello again HarryDresden,

Okay so here are a couple of thoughts and again please don't take this the wrong way we are all just trying to help. I've had many broken bones and even recently a fractured ankle and CRPS type II so my comments come from personal experience.

My first thought regarding symptoms:

* prolonged pain - this is really isn't really 'prolonged' since your fracture is only 3 months old and well within the time considered normal for bone healing, especially in the foot where we are all very sensitive to pain due to the increased nerve endings in this area.
* my toes being swollen - swelling at this stage of healing is very common with a fracture.
* osteoporosis in the toes - it is unlikely that this is from CRPS at this time since this more often will occur later even in acute/severe forms of CRPS and also since you have it in more than one toe where CRPS is clearly not yet spread.
* my toes being uncomfortable hot. - this is common with the inflammatory process and also with swelling. Very painful burning pain is a halmark of CRPS
* blenching (redness) - not sure what 'blenching' is so I won't comment on this.
* loss of ROM in toes - this is extremely common with fractures at this stage especially after disuse or immobilization and is often caused by swelling and the healing process.. very, very common with fractures of any kind.
* muscle weakness - muscle weakness would also be common with immobilization and disuse after a break and not so common in the very early stages of CRPS unless severe or acute CRPS (which by your pain description isn't the case for you)
* tingling in the toe - tingling when coupled with your other symptoms would most likely be caused by nerve compression from swelling or the fracture itself.

After a fracture or even a sprain it isn't uncommon to have pain with walking/movement of the affected limb and then for it to get better with rest or elevation - with CRPS this is the opposite as it isn't usually relieved by rest.

Decreasing pain this early on means it is healing - if is less likely to be CRPS if you are getting better.

You mentioned that your worst pain was at a 4/10 from wearing shoes - that is very reasonable considering you had a fractured toe - wouldn't you agree?
It isn't about how high the pain rating is but all of the symptoms combined that would indicate CRPS and at least to me it really doesn't fit the picture. Sounds like you had a bad fracture and it is healing.. perhaps a little slow but not necessarily.

Yes, CRPS is a frickn' nightmare something I wish I had never heard of and I hope for your sake you don't have it.
zookester is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote