View Single Post
Old 09-21-2014, 10:03 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yes, these are typical brain injury issues. They often seem normal, this is called a "silent disability" because it is not initially evident, like a cast on a broken bone. TBI, especially damage to the frontal lobes, can cause impulsiveness, lack of proper judgement, poor decision making, and other executive function impairments. That "bad memory" is just the surface symptom. Involved with that, there is also poor processing skills, bad "filter", brain fatigue, lack of abstract thinking skills (concrete thinking), and often, bad self-awareness of their impairments. All this adds up to behavioral issues which can and often do lead to stealing and "lying", etc., it's basically just the easiest fastest first solution to a perceived need. Their ability to think things through is diminished, their brain "hits a wall" (fatigue), and decisions are based on immediate first easy way out. So they steal. BUT-- and this is huge -- they don't know they are "lying", they honestly think they are making sound judgments. TBI takes years, if not a lifetime, to heal from, to remember, relearn, and rewire. If you're not up to a major learning curve and possibly a lifetime commitment to learning how to understand and support him, then move on -- but be aware that brain injury can happen to anyone, anytime, and life instantly changes forever. Everyone meets some kind of "end" eventually, and as far as I've figured out the meaning of life, it really is allll about taking care of each other and helping each other to survive as long as possible. Not many of us get the fairy tale ending. But you certainly have the right to pursue that dream. If it hadn't happened to my darling precious son and I had the choice, I would have moved on and been long gone. Sometimes I think only a mother's true love lasts forever...

"...EVERYTHING ABOUT HIM SEEMED PRETTY NORMAL...other than occasional forgetfulness. After just two days around him I realized how deeply his injuries affectet him & his daily living, etc... I was pretty involved (and curious) so I stayed with him. That was 2 yrs ago & I am having BIGv problems with him. He has lied to me constantly ans he goes thruogh my personal things daily and takes what he wants. I HAVE RESORTED TO LOCKING MY THINGS UP!! IS LIEING & STEALING RESULT OF HIS TBI? I CAN'T DO THIS![/QUOTE]
MommaBear is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tito's girl (10-18-2014)