Thread: Starting SSRI
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2014, 06:31 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

mansfim-

Just wanted to let you know you aren't alone I suffered from debilitating anxiety for weeks. It has gotten so much better. I take 25mg of Zoloft (an SSRI) in the morning and Mirtazapine (an atypical anti-depressant) at night to help me sleep. I've tried 3 times to wean off the night time med and it ended in disaster.

I was prescribed Ativan right after my accident, but it didn't touch the anxiety. It made me pass out for about 2-3 hours, then wake with 10X the anxiety than before I fell asleep. I've read- and I'm sure you have to- about benzos. I've read they aren't the best for brain injuries, but I fully get you have to do what you have to do to maintain. They just never worked for me.

I've gotten extremely deep in my faith and feel this has helped tremendously. Sometimes when I can't sleep or get scared I just say over and over "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus..." and I feel calm or fall asleep. I also read a daily devotional called Jesus Calling by Sarah Young. Just thought I'd mention this because so many swear by meditation for relief, so I feel this is my "meditation".

I swear my body got caught in flight or flight mode and just couldn't shut off. I became almost suicidal and thought something had to give because I couldn't deal with living like that anymore. It's been about 2 months since my injury and the past 2-3 weeks have gotten progressively better.

How did you hit your head and when? It takes time for the SSRI to take effect and yes, it may make you feel worse before better. I felt jittery and nervous and have developed minor muscle twitching since I started taking it. Mine is a pretty low dose considering but I don't like the idea of taking meds like so many others.

I think I tried to rush my recovery and and wouldn't allow myself to stay on the meds like I needed to. I may have been better long ago if I wasn't so stubborn. But I'm on them now until....

32 year old female
Fell off pool ladder on 07/26/14 and hit back of head on concrete, was unconscious for a few minutes.

Clear MRI and CT. Meds: 15mg Mirtazapine, heavy vitamin regimen

Symptoms: Anxiety (getting much better), sleep disturbances, fatigue, don't feel like myself

Getting better everyday thanks be to God! War Eagle!
RAllen82 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
underwater (09-24-2014)