View Single Post
Old 09-24-2014, 09:03 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hey there, Badlimey! Fellow vet and traveler through the intricacies of the federal medical system...I know exactly what you're going through. I too am new on this forum and I'm so happy to already have met a fellow vet, and so many who share medical mysteries. My local family doctor and emergency room doctors both think I have either multiple schlerosis or myasthenia gravis, but the VA is convinced it's not MS and hasn't tried any further to make a definitive diagnosis, so I may never know unless I hit the lottery, LOL!

VA had me on statins for several years, during which time the pain in my arms and legs was sometimes so bad I walked like a 90-year-old. They switched me to every different kind they had but it made no difference. I finally quit them altogether after doing research, and they tried niacin and fish oil to lower my cholesterol.

I too had serious back issues (training horses and tons of heavy lifting) but finally had to go to private neurologists to get help. They only got one section fixed when the really bad neurological stuff started so I refused to have the other 2 surgeries. I really think the 6 hours of anesthesia had something to do with it!

I can no longer drive more than 10 minutes, can't sit upright or walk more than 1/2 block. Fell in the shower a couple of years ago and tore the rotater cuff in one shoulder. I'm in pain most of the time, even with medications and really understand the sleep issues. I walk with 2 forearm crutches because of such weak arm joints and muscles and my balance is awful!

But...all that is balanced out by my family and my two short, disproportionately long dogs. Last year I got my own computer and I discovered the wonders of the internet. Now I can research, talk to others like me. I can see what works for them and what doesn't, what current research is being done. Of course, the VA doctors don't like that, but they're not my mama!

I'm being long-winded, I know, but know this: you are not alone! I know the two of us can't be the only vets on the forum, and I'll bet my winter underwear, they know exactly what we're dealing with. Hang in there, man, it does get better.
Doxylady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (09-24-2014)