View Single Post
Old 09-28-2014, 06:32 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I've been asked by a member to look at this thread.

I'll say right up, that I am not an expert on TBI ...but I know about drugs and supplements.

Some people just do not do well on Zoloft. It can be quite agitating, even at the low doses.
The Remeron has this postulated activity in the brain:
Quote:
Evidence gathered in preclinical studies suggests that mirtazapine enhances central noradrenergic and serotonergic activity. These studies have shown that mirtazapine acts as an antagonist at central presynaptic α2 adrenergic inhibitory autoreceptors and heteroreceptors, an action that is postulated to result in an increase in central noradrenergic and serotonergic activity.
from http://www.rxlist.com/remeron-drug/c...armacology.htm
Remeron is often given to help with sleep, because it has sedating qualities/side effects.

The suggestion to use a Benzo like Xanax or Clonazepam would address this anxiety issue. You could do this over the counter with PharmaGaba...more safely and gently however.
Benzos and PharmaGaba work on the inhibitory nervous system, which balances us against the stimulatory system which is activating. The neurotransmitter GABA works here, and neither drug you take affects it. The RX drugs that work on GABA receptors are quite habituating, but the PharmaGaba is not. You can find this at iherb.com or Amazon
Not all GABA supplements work orally, but PharmaGaba does. I've used it myself. 100-200mg a day often works for many people. You can take it before bedtime to calm you for sleep.

Some people just naturally have lots of serotonin, and using SSRIs for these people is just too agitating. You should trust your feelings and resist any dose increase. The mildest SSRI is Celexa, and that is because it is not a pure drug, but a mixture of active and inactive molecules so the SSRI actions are much weaker. (Its cousin Lexapro however is the purified form and much stronger).

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (09-28-2014), RAllen82 (09-28-2014)