View Single Post
Old 06-07-2007, 01:06 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I've had the nerve nuking (ablation or burning of nerves) and, for me, done bilaterally at, generally, 4 levels during each procedure.

The worse part? The unfamiliar... if never have undergone the procedure previously. The unknown is the most frightening, and, quite rightfully so. I liken it to going through childbirth: I have never been through it, and can only empathize with friends whom have delivered children. To me, it is just so scary.

It - the nerve nuking - sounds a lot worse than it is (at least as far as my experience has been). I was so out of it: Conscious sedation with Versed, or, as some term it, laa-laa land. The reasoning? So the doc can do evocatives, but without the patient carrying away memory of any pain evoked during the procedure.

I would never have RF (nerve nuking) done if the doc is not using a C-Arm or live-guided x-ray. If the doc is not doing so, it means, may as well take a blindfold and a Black & Decker to yourself. It's akin to hit-and-miss. The live-guided allows for accurate and precise placement of the needle used to heat up the nerves, which do not "die" immediately; it takes some time for the effects to take place - up to a couple of weeks.

You may feel increased pain or a temporary worsening of symptoms for a time. Those feelings, however, should dissipate within a couple of weeks.

Be sure to follow pre-op and post-op instructions to the letter. It will help immensely.

Also, surround yourself with positive thoughts or influences (people, media, etc.) in the days prior. You want to set yourself up for success.

I'd also not take any aspirin, if you may, for a least 5 days prior. I'd hydrate well for at least 10 hours prior to when fasting is slated to commence. I'd also eat soothing foods beforehand - such as pasta. Anything likely to cause a stomach upset I'd avoid.

I'd also wear loose clothing (slip-on type) and sandals, along with taking a blanket and sunglasses - for the return trip home.

I would just kick back for a couple days following, and have ice packs to help ease pain.

If you've questions about other ideas that may help, I'd be sure to ask the doc doing the procedure.

And, still, the big thing to remember, is: You might feel worse before feeling better.

P.S.: The nerves are not permanently "deadened"; they will regenerate with time (usually or most typically within about 18 months). The procedure, if deemed helpful in terms of pain reduction, can be repeated.

Bobbi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote