Old 09-28-2014, 10:05 PM
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Unhappy Recovering from tethered cord syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueT View Post
I am 50 and was Dx with TCS by an MRI two weeks ago. I see a Nero surgeon next week so I have been trying to read everything I can. this post seems to have all bad experiences related to untethering Sx. however everything I have read by doctors indicate the only relief from the pain and other symptoms is surgery. Is there anyone on this site that has had a positive outcome from the surgery? I'm feeling very nervous and confused! I want relief from this pain and lack of sleep, I just want my live back I can't stand or walk more than 5 minutes and even then I pay for it with more intense pain and Norco doesn't help in the least. Please let me know if anyone has had a positive outcome (Please!)
Hi Sue.

I am also 50 years old. Last April I was diagnosed with Tethered Cord Syndrome and had surgery in October.

I tried everything prior to surgery to help manage the pain and nothing helped. Thank GOD I found the best Neurosurgeon for surgery. Granted, not having surgery is NOT an option.

Prior to surgery I was not incontenence, however frequent urination. Mostly at night. Pain was Chronic and I could not walk longer than 5 minutes. Every body part below my L5 hurt....burning in buttocks and outer hips, tailbone pain, low back pain, pins and needles in my legs were the most dibilatating. I tried 3 different nerve meds and prescribed NSAID's and no relief.

After surgery I was in the hospital for 4 days. 2 weeks before I could drive. Pain and weakness slowly subsided in about a month. I had complete recovery in about 2-3 months with NO PAIN. Bladder function is still frequent.

Unfortunately, I now have mild scoliosis with possible retether. All the symptoms are coming back and MRI showing low lying spinal cord in mid L3 and thickened filum terminale. Going back for another Urodynamic text next week to confirm

Please do share your journey......

Lorraine
myrose4me is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SueT (10-06-2014)