View Single Post
Old 09-29-2014, 12:23 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
Thanks for sharing Balanchine. I recommend that anyone starting out avoid experimenting with edibles due to challenges (here in Colorado anyway) with gauging potency. Here, there are no "instructions". Place two cookies side by side and they look identical only one is twice as potent as the other. Which one and how much should you consume at a time? The delayed effects from ingesting only adds to the confusion.

A column that Maureen Dowd (NY Times) published also comes to mind. She came to Colorado, "nibbled" on a little pot candy bar and as she put it, "lay curled up in a hallucinatory state for the next eight hours". That was her review of trying cannabis in Colorado. She thought she had died and no one told her. We do not need more reviews like that.

I think everyone should be cautious with cannabis but especially with edibles until they know how cannabis affects them.
There's no question that caution is warranted with any new drug, especially one like MM where quality and quantity vary. I'd heard about the Dowd thing and, while I certainly feel for her, can't get too worked up about an adult doing something stupid, especially a smart adult, when there are lots of educational resources to guide one on a more prudent path. That being said, if she was getting poor advice from a budtender at a dispensary then that person should be fired.

Dunno how the system works in CO, but here in CA there are a number of brands of edibles that are well-tested and potency-proven. They state the amount of THC and other cannabinoids on the label and usually offer caveats to the consumer about eating too much. I would advise a new user to stick to these established brands (if available) so he or she could be reasonably guaranteed of a particular experience with a certain amount.

There are also, as to be expected, multiple forums where users describe their experiences with every delivery system, so those resources also should be used prior to first dosing.

Re-reading your post, Beatle, it's kinda scary to me to think that the CO dispensaries are selling edibles without a full disclosure of ingredients and potency. Yikes!
Balanchine is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote