View Single Post
Old 09-30-2014, 10:08 AM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Default Scared - occasional "stroke-like" symptom when trying to sleep

Greetings. New to this forum and searching high and low for answers and hoping maybe someone can help here.

For the past year now, maybe once a month, sometimes more often, I get this weird and very uncomfortable, scary, sensation when I am trying to sleep. This ONLY happens when I am laying down trying to sleep.

It feels like a complete warm feeling is taking over my head and rushing it, and then as if my whole head and left side of my body including my face is going to sleep but my right side is not. There is no tingling, no pain, no weakness, no drooping, I have full control of myself. I sit up in bed when this happens. I go to to the mirror and check myself, I have a full smile, I can raise my left arm just fine. But I can't explain this. I have been to the E.R. and not really able to explain the sensation - I told the nurse and doctor "It's like the left side of my body is asleep without being asleep."

I have panic anxiety disorder but this is not a panic attack. When this happens, I am not panicked about it. My heart is not racing, I am not sweaty, nor am I seeing spots, and I am able to breathe normally. It's just very uncomfortable. After 5 minutes, I try to lay back down. Half the time, it will happen again and I will have to sit back up and wait for it to subside a second time. The other half of the time, I can go to sleep normally.

I should note that about a year ago I started taking Topamax for Borderline Personality Disorder. I have looked into symptoms and side effects for the drug, but never found anything conclusive.

I have wondered about Transient Ischemic Attacks and Migraine with Aura but I just don't know. My doctor has no answers.

I have diabetes, I do not smoke or drink, I do take Lisinopril for High Blood Pressuer, Nexium for GERD, and Cymbalta for the Panic Anxiety Disorder, along with a daily Multi Vitamin. I am also about 320 lbs, male, almost 39, 5 foot 11, and get migraines a lot. Always have a stiff neck nearly every other day have some type of headache, usually at the base of my head or the left side of my head near the temple. Occasionally my left temple throbs.

Also, not sure if this is relating, but I get massive itching fits in between my fingers and toes and on my ankles and wrists from time to time.

Thanks for any help and replies.
Megales Sthenos is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote