View Single Post
Old 09-30-2014, 10:15 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Patricia

I have heard of one or two other people with reactions like that, though it doesn't usually linger so long. Trying a different brand is the generally-accepted course, though I do know of one other person who just plain can't take IVIg. Subcutaneous IG (also known as subQ or SCIG) does help to prevent side effects. Have you discussed that option with your doctors?

Steroids are often given when allergic reactions happen. You should be aware that in about 20% of cases, prednisone, and probably all steroids, will worsen MMN symptoms. This is why it's so important to distinguish MMN from CIDP. Steroids do not worsen CIDP, which is very similar to MMN.

You don't say if the infusion helped his MMN symptoms or not. If he is one of the lucky 70% who does see immediate benefit, it gives you more incentive to work past the obstacles. Even if he is among the 30% who, like me, do not see immediate benefit from infusions, it still appears to slow and smooth out the progression. So give it at least a year of treatments if you can. In my case, it took eight months of treatment before I stopped dropping fingers.

I wish you the best of luck. Your husband is lucky to have such a devoted partner.