View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 01:18 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Gerry, I can relate to your fear only to well, the pain that comes with a total obstruction or even a bad partial obstruction is excruciating.... Sadly there are times when I miss the warning signs an obstruction is imminent and I've missed the window to take preventative measures, once the pain is coming in waves and I'm vomiting I have to go to ER and given anti emetics to stop the vomiting, morphine on demand to combat the hideous pain. (likely remain on morphine and anti emetics for the next 4 days) a nasal gastric tube is inserted (usually for 3 to 4 days) & a drip set up with saline solution and electrolytes - nil by mouth for at least 48 hours. I have been in ER for up to 24 hours until a bed becomes available for admission if I have had to go via ambulance. Once on the ward make you go solutions are given - go lightly, fleet or 4 sachets of movicol. Prepare for the ultimate humiliation! After a few days fluids are allowed - black tea or coffees & broth, if tolerated for 24 hours, you progress to light meals of custard, jellow or yogurt & tea or coffee with milk. Tolerate that for 24 hours and we are back to normal foods with minimal fibre, smaller portions and chewing everything for longer and plenty of water. The intestine feels like it's done 10 rounds with Tyson and I feel very weak and sore all over. Usually by day 5 I'm ready to go home, the longest I've been in was 10 days. One time after 6 days I came home and after 3 days rushed back in The pain, vomiting and NG tube are the worst but by no means the most embarrassing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ger715 View Post
When you write "another obstruction"; what do you do to clear the obstruction??? I am constantly in fear of having to deal with obstruction. Thanks, Gerry

Last edited by PamelaJune; 10-02-2014 at 08:23 AM.
PamelaJune is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (10-02-2014)