View Single Post
Old 06-07-2007, 09:55 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Persistant "Mixed" Headaches~Occipital Neuralgia??

I've been trying to understand variety of symptoms manifesting since traumatic head injurys; most pervasive -Constant headaches w/ photophobia, focused in back of head, w/ severe neck pain. Movement is difficult, & generates electric shocks. Pain radiates thu out head, up into temporal area. Throbbing behind eyes. Head so sensitive hurts to brush my hair.

I felt were several types of headaches -Long history of migraines, since childhood; sinus & "tension" headaches; and bouts of excrutitating headaches that seemed to be cluster< I've been to ER twice w/ this in past 3 months; IM toradol helped.

Neuro Dx "atypical" migraine & wanted to do botox injections (require insurance approval) Previously he'd used injections of ?? [don't recall names now --memory issues from last concussion] but was a combo that did help, for varying periods of time when injected into most painful areas.
However, I did not fully agree w/ Dx of "atypical" migraines--did not cover all Sx I'd presented. Also, I know too well when I have migraine--for me incapacitating w/ nausea & sensitivities which result in heading to dark quiet bedroom ( i can't use triptans)

These headaches do have components of migraine & other headaches. Recently while researching TBi found a name that encompasses all symtoms: Occipital Neuralgia.

Yesterday I mentioned this to Physiatrist- DR of physical med & rehab I've begun to see for TBi/PCS; he just nodded, said, "Yes, Occipital headache" and wanted me to continue w/ Topamax, which i've used before w/ no major problems but did experience adverse affects this time; do NOT want to use now. He wants me to try Cymbalta again, but at lower dose-20mg. I'm so apprehensive about antidepressants coz of Hx of allergic & adverse reactions to many. But will again try Cymbalta- is indicated for other symptoms , esp. "nerve" pain .
Neuropathies are body wide now, but neck -cervical area is unique for "electric" zaps. Also Lumps at base of skulls that are painful to touch.
I've learned that presenting too many Sx to Drs "overwhelms" them; I have to focus on the "worst" & hope for the Best...

Thanks for sharing your stories RE: these "headaches"--wish you all Best.
Blessings.

Last edited by pono; 06-07-2007 at 10:11 AM. Reason: typo
pono is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote