View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 09:09 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Gerry, I take 1 to 2 sachets of movicol daily and have done since 2010, prior to that I used to take up to 4 coloxyl w/senna daily. Both these products are laxatives. I stopped the coloxyl/ senna tablets after yet another hospitalisation in 2010 and was put on movicol instead. I prefer the movicol as I have greater control and since taking this suffered less obstructions requiring hospitalisation. Yes in hospital for an additional scs lead placement and repositioning of existing lead, discharged Friday am and Saturday night back in a different hospital.
Had Dr instructions been followed as I found out yesterday the obstruction and another trip to ER and hospital would have been avoided. I was supposed to be on morphine 3 hourly post the surgery Weds night and Thursday, Thursday night and Friday as required and discharged from hospital Saturday afternoon. I was instead begging for the medication and being told no not yet and discharged 36 hours too early and before the Dr saw me.
The scs procedure was/is so painful because they had great difficulty getting the 2nd lead in and had to cut extensively, repositioning the existing lead further problematic and virtually had to rip and cut tissue the length of the lead, so I have a 6" incision where the leads are and the battery site incision also reopened but that's not really hurting at all.
I'm on yet another new medication, temgesic x 2 at 8hrly intervals, tepantadol 100mg to 200mg every 12 hours, oxy SR every 24 and I'm told I gave to take them, to combat I'm also on x 2 coloxyl/senna at night and 1 movicol in the am and may have to increase it to 2 if I go 1/2 a day without hearing stomach sounds... I've never heard of temgesic?
All in all, I'm really flummoxed and exhausted. My husband is very angry and my PM doctor fuming at the hospital and the witch nurse, I've had to scribe a complaint and he is taking it up with the Director. There is also the problem of the incorrect medication dispensed and taken, even just the one dose has caused internal problems and can apparently take the body up to a month to recover.
I'm very glad it's October, new month and all that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ger715 View Post
That is pretty awful. If I understand correctly, you have been hospitalized the past few days with obstruction? I believe it was only about a week ago you were in the hospital for lead replacement with paddle for scs.

Do you take any type of laxative; Miralax, etc. to keep things moving? As you well know; many meds; especially narcotics will cause constipation almost immediately. As I previous mentioned since being on narcotics daily, take Miralax daily. Days when I only take one dose, frequently will start to back up. Then I start increasing the Miralax accordingly to try to prevent getting any type of obstruction. I am always fearful when this happens.

I had gotten pretty backed up 2 years ago because of my daily Oxycontin. Went to ER. I was given enemas, had to drink several of the Movi-prep (which I frequently was unable to keep down). I had nothing like you describe done.

Entered ER on a Saturday and was admitted after several hours. While I was still in hospital trying to get things cleared out, I was advised to get Colonsocopy which I did. That's when the 3" cancerous tumor was discovered at the top of rectum which the following day had surgery to remove rectum, etc. Muscle was saved. I do not have a bag so I still deal with daily Miralax and always fearing the possibility of obstruction.

Since you seem very prone to obstruction, I would think doctors would be able to provide you with some preventative measures.

You have really have been dealing with wayyyy too much.

Gerry
ger715 (10-02-2014)