View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 11:37 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Edgelow Protocol

If you use the forum search function or google "Peter Edgelow" a lot of stuff should come up. If you can't get in to see Peter (he may be [semi?] retired at this point), there are other PTs in the Bay Area - and maybe even San Jose - who use what is known as the "Edgelow Protocol" specifically to treat TOS. His office may be able to refer you in the right direction.

As far as your chiro goes, if you want to keep seeing this guy, tell him to go easy! There should be NO active stretching of the culprit muscles unless/until your TrPs are resolved and your pain levels waaaay down. Thera Bands are a definite no-no with TOS! Basically, no upper-body strengthening until your muscles are rebalanced and your pain is under control. From what you've posted, it sounds to me like your chiro is having you do stuff that is completely contraindicated in cases of TOS. Like many practitioners, he may think he knows the right modalities for you… but in actuality he does not. "Cookie-cutter," "no pain, no gain" forms of PT not only do not work with TOS, they can cost you more damage and set your recovery back considerably.

There is a company in the Bay area (I think) which sells the Edgelow Mini TOS Kit. Once you're set up with a TOS-savvy PT, these materials will help them to help you (and if your PT is willing to order them for you, I think you can get a decent discount under their license).

There is a phone number for Peter in the Drs and PTs sticky thread at the top of the forum, but I'm not sure if it's current. He has helped countless TOSers avoid surgery, as well as addressing recurrent symptoms post-surgery.

Wishing you the best of luck! Let us know how it's going for you. You're lucky to live where you do; I think you'll find there are several PTs near you who can help. If you like your chiro, maybe find out if he'd be willing to learn the Edgelow Protocol right along with you. Hopefully, he is open-minded enough to embrace your "special needs" (haha) without getting his ego out of whack…

Take Care,
Alison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker View Post
Looked in the sticky thread, but could not find much.
I know there are many folks from CA here.
Could you please recommend a good PT or chiropractor with experience in treating TOS?

I am in south bay (San Jose).

Last edited by Sea Pines 50; 10-02-2014 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Dread typo
Sea Pines 50 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote