View Single Post
Old 06-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default for kmeb and all of us

I should have couched my post with exactly the dilemma you have, kmeb, because I go thru periods where liquids are all that go down as well. I use Erythromycin, because that is the only stimulant my stomach will handle. I have to be careful with fiber as well, and at times, can't tolerate fiber at all...and ironically protein foods can sit in my stomach for hours when I go thru these horrible periods. Right now, since I went off the dopamine agonist, it seems my stomach is moving a bit better, but the downside is trying to control my severe RLS with Lyrica and an opiate, and I am not sure Lyrica is sitting very well with me, as I feel like I have Alzheimers...it makes me very very tired, but I can't fall asleep and I am very dull...great.
I may end up on a larger opiate dose or back on the dopamine agonist, which will of course aggravate the gastroparesis. People with gastroparesis can develop beozars from fiber...

The two big discrepancies in symptoms and approaches to healing that I see here on the forum are ones of etiology and one of degrees of neuropathy.

Depending on the etiology-it affects the treatment of the disease-and neuropathy is secondary to the disease-therefore-management of the disease is crucial and management of the neuropathy is secondary.

If the neuropathy is 'idiopathic' then there is NO disease to treat, as the 'Idiopathic Neuropathy" is assumed to be the disease...then what?

You can't treat an advanced case of a 'neuropathy producing disease' with lifestyle changes. Period. Autoimmune diseases will require some type of immunological modification, cancer will require treatment, amyloidosis-treatment, etc.

You can try to manage 'Idiopathic Neuropathy" with lifestyle changes as the degree of the disease allows, because that is all that is out there for 'idiopathic' cases. Most of us do end up on some form of pain management...if not other forms of management such as drugs for gastroparesis, or sleep, or movement disorders.

Some lifestyle changes such as meditating, and mindful endeavors can be used by any one, and I know of several members who do a great deal of mindful activities in their art, such as jewelry making....

Some people can't stand up in the kitchen long enough to cook...and that happens to me...a lot. Thankfully, I have family to pick up the slack-not everyone is in that situation...I get very grumpy when this happens and I have to lay down, or pass out..no options.

Some people are on medications that require crosschecking with the Cytochrome P450 chart before taking something as simple as grapefruit juice....and that chart has not caught up very well with nutraceuticals yet.

You're right kmeb....

No pond and froggie for you---but the thunderstorm CD is really nice....by the way it isn't a big bang thunderstorm but gentle rain and quiet thunder...and even that isn't for every one...I sent one along with my son to Iraq, and he told me I was crazy...thunder reminds him of incoming mortar! He was quite irritated with me....rightfully so. (He is back home)

We, as individuals, need to find our own path....no one path is the same--just a general direction.

As far as suggestions, I don't know if you tolerate juice: fruit or veggie, liquified yogurt or plain yogurt. Your energy level isn't going to allow for you to cook or prepare much, so prepared food is the best. I eat applesauce, and Trader Joes, if you have those stores, sells a really good peach sauce...when I am having problems with my stomach, I live on yogurt, sauces and juices and organic milk...and I gained weight on it! Yikes! Trader Joes is much cheaper than some of the other 'organic' stores...and no I dont have any stock in the company. I don't know if they have an online store.

Like I said, how ironic that we pay more for food that is less tampered with.

Again, everyone, always consider
the cause of the neuropathy,
the type of neuropathy,
the extent of neuropathy,
when considering which direction you proceed in your journey of management of this condition.

Exercise is contraindicated in some cases, yours is likely one of them.

Hope that clarifies things.
cyclelops is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote