View Single Post
Old 10-05-2014, 04:37 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vowel Lady View Post
single mom.... I believe I can offer some good insight for you...

I have been dx'd with Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia following dental work.

However, the majority of my pain is in my ear.

This is something that my neuro doesn't seem to understand, so at times, I'm afraid to discuss it too much.

Yet, ironically, when I communicate with others with ATN, bad ear pain is often mentioned.

I went to an ENT and he thought I had some dental or bite problem. It really bothered me. I went back to him later, when I had some weird pain on the same side in my nostril and he did a CT scan. After the scan and nothing was found, he said it was probably ATN and it had spread into my nostril.

If you look at a photo of the Trigeminal nerve and the related branches it goes from the jaw, ear, up into the face, nostril and even around the eye area. It's as if it has "fingers."

Anyway, my neuro, who is very knowledgeable, doesn't seem to know about Geniculate Neuralgia much. I don't think it is seen much.

BUT, I'm on a compounded cream with Gabapentin, Capsaicin and Lidocaine and it has helped me tremendously....I still have triggers and issues...but they are much better. I rub it around my ear, on the side of my face and a little into my jaw area where the dental work was done.

Wishing you well...I know it is very hard.

but just an update...i have had no progress...i saw a pain managment dr and he basically said he couldnt help. I am hopefully meeting with the neuroseurgon tomorrow...something happened with the insurance and i might not be seen. I have been online all day today trying to find help and i have pretty much come up with nothing. I have also looked up every possible thing that could cause ear pain and nothing fits. my symptoms are just crystal clear specific ...hopefully this dr will be of some help. I dont really have a primary dr either pain meds for me of any sort is just not an option.

Last edited by Chemar; 10-05-2014 at 04:41 PM. Reason: ** NT guidelines for new members/website redirects
singlemomstrong is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote