View Single Post
Old 10-06-2014, 03:21 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I used a walker from the onset of my poly neuropathy in 1996 until about 2004. I had done years on/off of physical therapy and water therapy for both the PN and post stroke before I graduated to the cane.

It can done for SOME people, but it all depends on your Dx and limitations. It is all about safety! A fall can be devastating. I have fallen numerous times while using my cane...and have had to consider going back to the walker on a few occasions. I do pretty well with just the cane and can even move about the house without it if I want. It really all depends on how I feel. I know that telltale feeling in my legs when I'm weak, so I always use my cane then...as well as outside the house.

If you decide to make this change, do so gradually...very gradually. Use the cane for a hour an day, then a couple hours, etc. See how you feel with your stability. I would not use the cane outside the house in open areas of stores or uneven surface of a yard until you have been using the cane for quite some time.

Time it slow and listen to your body...it will tell you whether you're doing the right thing.
en bloc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (10-06-2014), zkrp01 (10-06-2014)