View Single Post
Old 10-07-2014, 06:12 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Oral-Antral Fistual or Sinus Perforation? Advice? Experience?

Hi, everyone

I'm a 21 year male who got his wisdom teeth out in December of 2011, so it's been almost three years. After my gums had healed (so about two weeks later) I noticed that I would get this funny taste from discharge from the upper left corner of my mouth, one of the extractions sites. On top of getting discharge, I would get this smell in my nose that smelt like poop, facial pessure on my left cheek, and throbbing on my left cheek. I went to go see the oral surgeon that took the teeth out and he said he didn't see a hole and that's it common to have some sinus problems after wisdom teeth removal. He gave me some amoxciclyn and told me to wait it out.

It didn't get better after about another month, so I went and saw another oral surgeon near my university, since by this point I was back at school from winter break. This oral surgeon also said he didn't notice any hole or anything, but did a CT scan just incase. He said he found nothing on the CT scan and that things like this heal spontaneously.

Fast forward two and a half years and I still get discharge everyday, facial throbbing on my left cheek, the rancid smell in my nose, and when i close my nose and blow I can blow air (and sometimes the discharge) into my mouth. I got another CT scan a few months ago, so around the two year mark, and the oral surgeons still found nothing. The said i did have mucosal build up and a polyp, but they can't understand why it leaks out through the extraction site. They suggested I see an ENT and get am MRI.

I decided to go to ENT and told him my problem. He immediately said I must have some type of communication between my left sinus and my mouth, but it's a matter for the oral surgeons. In the mean time I got my MRI, which says similar things to the CT scan. I'm seeing another ENT soon and maybe he will be better help.

Does anyone have any advice? This problem has annoyed me for almost three years and I have no idea what next step to take.
frostyjohn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote