Thread: New medication
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2014, 11:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful View Post
I've been doing some research under the search site here. It looks like the reviews on neurotin are mixed. I did come upon a discussion on Elavil. I did take that when I first got sick 6 years ago also. I'm not sure if it was in combo with neurotin but I was given something with it.

I'm thinking of suggesting this to my doctor. From what I have read it seems to work. It also has the added benefit of aiding in sleep. Right now I really need that. My experience with medications has not been good. I want to try something that has been around along time. No surprises in long term use.

Does anyone have experience with Elavil or Neurotin. I'd appreciate any input.
Hopeful
After having declined many doctors' suggestions to take gabapentin for SFN; when I started having muscle pains that disturbed my sleep, I requested a trial of amitriptyline (Elavil). A lot of the medical literature that I've seen lists tricyclic antidepressants as well as gabapentin as a first choice drug for PN pain. I had taken it years ago for chronic regional pain syndrome and it was effective for that. I can say that the amitriptyline helps me get to sleep and sleep through the pain better than without it. The pain is still bothersome but I'm only currently up to 40 mg. (at bedtime); my doctor says I can go up to 70 mg. For CRPS I took 3 doses of 25 mg per day and at that level the side effects were a very dry mouth, urinary hesitancy, and hand tremors. But well worth it for relief of the pain. Good luck!
dogwalker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
hopeful (10-09-2014), zkrp01 (10-21-2014)