View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 04:27 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Question New here, mom of 17 year old daughter

Hi all.

I searched for "how to discipline my bipolar teen" and found this group. Along with being diagnosed about 4-6 months ago with bp, she also suffers from OCD, anxiety, and PTSD as a result of a rape 3 years ago. She's been hospitalized twice in the past 18 months and after her second hospitalization, we learned of a program called "partial hospitalization". What a Godsend! Her regular school district (where she had missed over 60 days of school due to severe anxiety and suicidal ideation) was extremely supportive and was required to provide transportation for her. So, she went there to focus primarily on mental health, with academics being secondary. She thrived and made steady progress until she was discharged in August (she chose to attend their summer schedule 2-3 days each week). She has continued with the same psychiatrist every two weeks and sees a therapist in her regular high school on a daily basis. She is a senior and only needs 4 credits to graduate, but I'm starting to see some backsliding.

All she does is eat and sleep. If I don't buy any sweets, she will make an excuse to go out somewhere and she'll buy something crappy to eat. She is a stunning girl but now, she is overweight by about 50 pounds and I hate seeing her like this. I talked to her psychiatrist today and told him I don't want her to end up like me (I'm obese). He encouraged her to go to the gym (she was gung-ho about going in March), start eating better, and try not to sneak food.

She is somewhat immature and I don't trust her about some things. Overall, she is a good kid who has never once touched drugs or alcohol, comes home before her curfew and is an excellent driver. She seems to be experimenting with some sexual things and I don't know how to approach her about it.

I also don't know how to punish her when she breaks a rule or really pushes the boundaries. If I yell at her (and I have a quick temper), she cries and disappears and I worry that I will push her into some sort of breakdown. But then I think, I can't treat her any differently than I do my other two younger daughters. What's a mom to do????
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (10-12-2014), Mari (10-09-2014)