View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 10:06 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Thank you Mari! The links are a wonderful source and I'll definitely look into all of them. She turns 18 in February. My husband and I have already had the "you live in our house, you follow our rules" talk with her and she agrees. As far as birth control, she is on the pill and since I have control of all of her meds, I know she takes it every day at the same time. And, we've had a lot of discussions about safety and she carries condoms in her purse. I have seen her buy more (she left a receipt in a bag that I was going to recycle) so I'm fairly certain she uses them. The sexual stuff seems to be part of her manic side - her sisters tend to tell me what she's done. She hasn't had intercourse in over a year since she and her long-time boyfriend broke it off. She's pretty open with me about sex and I try to tell her that she doesn't have to do anything for a boy just because she did stuff with her boyfriend, but she doesn't get it. Her psychiatrist ordered some blood work today to see if there are any thyroid issues....

And, your point about punishing her is a good one. It's probably the point that makes me feel like such a terrible mother when I do yell at her or take away her tablet. She doesn't do anything terrible. It's just little things like eating in her room, not taking out the garbage, not doing any dishes, and talking back. Typical teenage stuff that she is capable of doing.
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (10-12-2014), Dmom3005 (10-09-2014), Mari (10-10-2014)