View Single Post
Old 10-10-2014, 02:25 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hi Owlin I have been lurking on this forum for at least 3 months now. In 10 days i will be 5 months into my recovery from a very severe frontal/temporal lobe, coup counter coup concussion. Your situation and symptoms are very similar to mine.

The same night of my concussion i started feeling very different like a different person. The next morning i couldn't even get out of bed and all of my cognitive deficits kicked in. For 2 weeks i would sleep for like 18 hours a day and would hardly have any appetite. It was almost impossible for me to do any daily activities and it still is to some degree.

The next 3 months i would wake up around 9 am, stay up for 3 hours then sleep for about 2 hours in the afternoon. The whole time i would still get about 10 hours of sleep at night. Now almost five months in i don't have to sleep in the afternoon and i still get about 10 hours of sleep a night.

From the beginning of my concussion until now i have had terrible short term memory loss. I am barely able to remember from one day to the next. My attention span is terrible. I can barely retain what i read, hear or watch. If i listen to a new song i have to listen to it 10 times or more before i can even recite half of the lyrics.

The day after my concussion the way i see things visually changed drastically. And to this day i have seen little to no improvement in that aspect. my world still doesn't look the same as before. Its like my perception isn't as clear as before and i can't take in all of my surroundings the same way. From what I've read its as if i'm experiencing chronic derealization or depersonalization because it is 24/7 and never stops.

I can still Speak fine with little to no impediments but my fluency and energy for speech is way worse. Sometimes it feels like a struggle just to speak. I stumble on words and get tongue tied way more often now kind of like a very minor stutter every so often. I struggle to remember words and i have many spelling errors and typo's now.

I have gotten far weaker emotionally from damage to my frontal lobes as I've cried about 20 times or more since my concussion. The crying happens far less frequently at this point but still happens if i smoke more than 2 or 3 hits of marijuana in succession.

Before my concussion i was a heavy marijuana smoker and could smoke 20 pipe bowls a day or more easily. Now the marijuana seems to exacerbate my emotional and cognitive symptoms. But i still smoke because it helps me grade where i am in my recovery as the more tolerance i build to it the more i know i am getting back to being like my old self again. One positive effect the marijuana does have for me is it makes me think and converse very deeply and universally about my cognitive deficits to the point where i can actually feel myself making progress in very minute increments.

Anyways i just replied to you because i can totally relate to your situation and i think i am going to be in the same place as you at the 15 month mark because i don't see much hope for a full recovery at the 1 year mark.

By the way if i didn't have spell check on my computer this post would be full of typo's.

God Bless all of you in your recoveries. I never knew something like this could happen to me.
Eli456 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (10-10-2014)