View Single Post
Old 10-10-2014, 03:35 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conductor71 View Post
-Why don't insurance companies either cover expense of bicycles just as they would our meds each month?

-Why don't more doctors publicize this? I am outraged that I have never had one doctor suggest that exercise is of paramount importance for us.

I get so furious when I realize how little our insurance companies do to either keep us well or to improve our health! They want to keep us sick and dependent on meds because it keeps their little industry cycle humming with profit payoffs for all involved.

Laura
Oh dear i replied to the original post in a half awake state and then after noticed the date - cant delete but I can edit so - though the conversation has moved on this in response to a part of the original question now somewhat out of context.

Sorry Nan and birthday wishes to you.

Laura every country is different. This is the New Zealand approach - Green Prescriptions: Its been around for about 15 years and over 75% of doctors use them.

The health professional (GP or practice nurse) issues their patient with a Green Prescription (GRx), provided the patient’s medical condition is stable.
The script is either written or issued electronically, exercise pgme can include gym membership. If the patient wants ongoing support, the script is forwarded through to the nearest GRx Patient Support Person.
The Patient Support Person encourages the patient to become more active through:
monthly telephone calls for 3-4 months or;
face to face meetings for 3-4 months or;
group support in a community setting for 3-6 months.
The patient’s progress on their path to an active lifestyle is reported back to the referring health professional.
If the patient feels they would benefit from ongoing support, they are encouraged to ask their health professional for another GRx.

Last edited by dilmar; 10-10-2014 at 04:26 PM.
dilmar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote