View Single Post
Old 10-12-2014, 01:55 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannajane View Post
I don't really have any meds or anything to help with the pain. I did try to epsom salt bath..,.i wish I could live in there! Thank you for the recommendation!

I had a qsart test two days ago and told the tech the band was too tight but she wouldn't losen it...my wrist has been very swollen ever since and more painful. I am refusing any further testing.....I'm in enough pain and all their tests are doing is hurt me further
Lidocaine patches are not narcotic. You should at least try them!

I think I've had 3 EMGs and nerve conduction tests since developing RSD The last few were because of WC docs. My treating physician advised strongly against but we worked out a plan so I could go ahead and not jeapordize my benefits.

I arranged to have a stellate ganglion block if I had too bad of a flare for the last one. The tech stopped it after a few minutes because she realized what it was doing--she wasn't a fan of torture... I immediately put a Lidocaine Patch on and used them for about a week. I made sure I was driven there because I 1)knew it wouldn't be safe to drive home, and 2)so I could take break through pain meds. It took me 4 or 5 days to get back to normal, which I count myself lucky for.

You will have accidents that cause flares if you have RSD long term. You'll be rear ended, or slip and fall, etc. You need to have a plan when those things happen to avoid spread. Everyone reacts differently to " life savers" and you'll need to experiment. See if a tens unit helps you, try massage, etc. BTW, make sleep a priority. Check out the "Life Savers" sticky for lots of ideas!

It's crazy for you not to have any meds. If I were newly diagnosed I would start with low dose naltrexone to see if it worked for me. http://painsandiego.com/tag/rsd/
Along with the aforementioned Lidocaine patches. Then I'd try some of the nerve meds and/or antidepressants. Then perhaps try Ketamine cream. And so on... This is not an illness you should try and white knuckle it through. Being stoic and refusing meds (or having an idiot doc that doesn't know what to prescribe you) is not giving your body any chance at relief--which you need!

As horrible as RSD is, the more you can contain it, the easier your life will be. Make a habit of researching all procedures and tests before consenting. We DO NOT respond all the same, and docs will swear up and down that such and such can't cause a reaction, when you'll find it does to some RSD patients And that's not to say you can avoid every potential flare, but you should know the risks and be prepared.

P.S. I'm pretty much pain free in warm ocean water, and warm pools aren't quite the same, but still offer some relief. If you have access to either, see how you respond.
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote