View Single Post
Old 10-12-2014, 10:59 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Just wanted to post another update.

The pregnancy is still going well...but these last few weeks have been a real struggle for me. September 30th I strained a muscle in my shoulder/back at work...the scapula I think the doctor said...and I've been in agony since then. At first I thought it was just sore...then I thought it was a flare up but nothing that helps my RSD helped this pain and it was AGONY. Finally went to the doctor the following Monday and they said it was a strain/tear...but no way to now how serious it is because we can't do xrays or MRIs.

They took me off work for a week and told me to follow up with the orthopedic doctor on Friday. Well...the shoulder just got worse. I thought it was getting better after a couple of days of rest but then I went to my childbirth education class at the hospital on Thursday night and just from sitting in a chair (I didn't do any of the hands on activities) the pain got so bad I thought I was going to pass out or throw up...I was so nauseous from the pain.

So the orthopedic doctor on Friday said I need to be off work for a month and do physical therapy twice a week for four weeks...once work comp approves it anyway. I'm very frustrated to be off work so long because there was so much I wanted to do before going on maternity leave...but this shoulder strain/tear is really putting me out of commission. The only thing that help the pain consistently is when I sit on the couch with my back completely against the cushions or lay down with my back completely against the pillows. I wish there was a compression brace or something I could use but the doctor said that because of WHERE the muscle is...there's not much that can be done for it to immobilize it or provide compression. So...it's all about resting it.

This month is going to be so boring...but I have to be good and let it heal up so that I can take care of the baby when she comes. Hopefully in a month it will be better and I can go back to work for a week or two before the baby comes to help out with whatever they need at that point. The timing of this just stinks.

My RSD HAS been flaring up a little...likely due to the stress that I'm going through physically right now. I'm essentially forced to "rest" for a month but I've been trying not to immobilize anything too much...but my left ankle especially and even my arms are seeing an increase in RSD pain. Hot baths and Epsom salts help...and I've been trying to do some light stretching when I can't move around much...but the RSD pain is definitely worse than usual. Not severe flare up bad...but just elevated pain. If it weren't for the shoulder strain though...I don't think any of this would be an issue.

So that's where I'm at right now. Baby is great...her mother is a wreck...but as long as baby is healthy that's really all that matters. I'm going to follow doctor's orders and rest up so this shoulder heals...and then everything will be fine.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eevo61 (10-15-2014), fbodgrl (10-13-2014)