View Single Post
Old 10-12-2014, 04:09 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hi Annie,

Sorry for the slow reply--I broke the post by accidentally having two accounts. I'll stick with an anonymous name for now

They didn't tell me where the antibody tests went, though the MuSK test took a week longer than the AChR test. Is the Mayo Clinic the main place that these are sent to?

In the hospital they did give me IV solu-medrol, though it's hard to say whether it was the steroids or being in bed for a few days which helped. They didn't sent me home with any medication because of my upcoming EMG test. Despite that steroid treatment I am still having some breathing issues which currently restrict me from doing much. You're right, I am definitely going to take it easy. It's been tough to swallow my pride and ask my husband for rides to work and help taking a shower, but it's better to be temporarily embarrassed than put back in the hospital!

As far as the eyes are involved, I occasionally feel like my eyes are slow to focus on things toward the end of the day (sometimes there's a bit of a 'jitter' when changing focus). Other than that, no droopiness or double vision.

As I mentioned in my first post, I had my EMG test done a few days ago which came back positive for MG. Interestingly, the (very old) neurologist conducting the test said that in his whole career he had only seen two people with MG that were double-seronegative without ptosis at diagnosis. He also mentioned that he--and most doctors--couldn't do a SFEMG anymore because the needles for it are no longer being made. I hadn't heard about that and thought that was interesting and disappointing.

Is MEP and MEP different from vital capacity? In the hospital I met with a respiratory therapist who said that my inspiratory and expiratory capacities were great--despite the fact that I was feeling like I had a 30 pound weight on my chest.

Right now I have a two-week wait to see my neurologist and discuss medication. My fun conversation with his nurse/assistant:

"He doesn't want to see you until he can review your EMG results."
"But he'll have those tomorrow! Can't he see me in a couple days? I was hospitalized with breathing problems!"
"Sorry, no."
"The neurologist at the hospital said that I should start a trial of Mestinon as soon as possible."
"You can discuss treatment at your appointment."
"My muscle weakness and breathing are really bad still. I'm worried that things will get worse. Can you tell him that?"
"The doctor will call you if he's concerned."
"So there's no way for me to see him sooner, at all?"
"You can go to the ER if things get worse."
*SIGH*

I'm on the cancellation list so hopefully I can get in sooner. I'll probably call again tomorrow to see if he can see me this week. Be the squeaky wheel and all that. From all the stories I've read on the forum, I wish dealing with doctors, insurance, etc wasn't so unbelievably frustrating.

But the good news out of all of this is that I finally have a diagnosis and will hopefully be feeling better soon!
Psychitect is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (10-13-2014)