View Single Post
Old 10-13-2014, 02:10 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default The diet that worked for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon4309 View Post
Hi Forum
I have posted my challenges and success with recent DBS. The stimulator was turned on August 5th. I was immediately able to walk. The past few days my legs feel tired and I have felt pins and needles , to a moderate degree, in my feet. I can still walk with no problem. What I need help with is weight gain about 20lbs. There is a lot of info on the net about this. Can anyone help me out with controlling weight gain? I am constantly hungry all the time. 1 hour a day of exercise is not helping. My neuro told me it should level off about 3 to 6 months. The weight is all in my belly. Has anyone experienced this and successfully dealt with it. All replies appreciated.
Thank you
Damon
Hi Damon,
I'm also new to the forum and to posting. I've been diagnosed with PD about 2 yrs now and taking Azilect 1mg and Miraplex 1.5mg daily. In addition to these meds I get acupuncture every 10 days, exercise 1 hour a day, get infused with 3000mg of glutathione once a week, take the usual supplements, and follow a low carb, high fat diet. I've been diagnosed gluten sensitive so I eliminated that and started following the diet in "Grain Brain" by Dr Perlmutter. I've struggled most of my life with weight issues and was gradually getting my weight under control but always hungry. Since going gluten free and following the low carb diet I've lost 15 lbs and I did it without being hungary. I eat all the time and don't gain any weight. Basically the diet is all organic, no processed foods, no or very limited carbohydrates, and a lot of fat but "good fat" like avocado, olive oil, cheese, nuts, fish, and eggs. At one time I was a sugar addict but after I eliminated carbs from my diet I stopped craving them. I purchased the book "Grain Brain" and started following the diet it worked for me and I'd tried them all. I hope this has been helpful; I can only tell you what has worked for me.

Has your weight gain been since DBS? If so is weight gain common after this procedure? Thank you for posting your DBS experience as I've been thinking about having it done because of the side effects of these meds. I don't think I could tolerate an increase in the Miraplex and can not get rid of these tremors. Meds have helped but they are my main symptom. Wine helps too and it's on the diet!
Good luck to you and to all of us.
Betsy
Betsy859 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote