View Single Post
Old 10-13-2014, 07:39 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Wink DBS and weight gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy859 View Post
Hi Damon,
I'm also new to the forum and to posting. I've been diagnosed with PD about 2 yrs now and taking Azilect 1mg and Miraplex 1.5mg daily. In addition to these meds I get acupuncture every 10 days, exercise 1 hour a day, get infused with 3000mg of glutathione once a week, take the usual supplements, and follow a low carb, high fat diet. I've been diagnosed gluten sensitive so I eliminated that and started following the diet in "Grain Brain" by Dr Perlmutter. I've struggled most of my life with weight issues and was gradually getting my weight under control but always hungry. Since going gluten free and following the low carb diet I've lost 15 lbs and I did it without being hungary. I eat all the time and don't gain any weight. Basically the diet is all organic, no processed foods, no or very limited carbohydrates, and a lot of fat but "good fat" like avocado, olive oil, cheese, nuts, fish, and eggs. At one time I was a sugar addict but after I eliminated carbs from my diet I stopped craving them. I purchased the book "Grain Brain" and started following the diet it worked for me and I'd tried them all. I hope this has been helpful; I can only tell you what has worked for me.

Has your weight gain been since DBS? If so is weight gain common after this procedure? Thank you for posting your DBS experience as I've been thinking about having it done because of the side effects of these meds. I don't think I could tolerate an increase in the Miraplex and can not get rid of these tremors. Meds have helped but they are my main symptom. Wine helps too and it's on the diet!
Good luck to you and to all of us.
Betsy
Betsy
Thank you for sharing.
It sounds like you are on the modified Atkins diet. This diet is good for quick weight loss. Basically it has no limitations on protein just all carbohydrates good and bad. Long term the regular Atkins diet is not healthy. Your modified version is better because you are watching fats and gluten. Just a note..avacodos are high in carbs. The first 5-7 lbs is water weight. I considered going on the standard Atkins diet but there is a problem. I take sinemet which is recommended to be taken with carbs. Proteins are the primary source of food
with Atkins. I would be inhibiting the sinemet and not being able to to do my nutribullet juice (vegetables and fruits) however if this weight trend doesn 't stop
I may be forced to Atkins. You raise some interesting questions. What is glutathione? Weight gain is a side effect of DBS. I have gained 20 lbs in 2 months. Although it is a small price to pay if I am able to walk I do not want to be 300lbs. Currently I am 230 but 6'1" tall. You also mention Mirapex Are the meds you listed working? I can ID with being a sugar addict.
write later Have a nice day.
Damon
damon4309 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote