View Single Post
Old 10-14-2014, 12:28 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Smile Dealing with neuropathy

Hello, my name is Gregg. I am 66 years old, retired, and have peripheral neuropathy and diabetes 2. I experience shooting pains in my fingers and from my buttocks down to my feet. I've had this pain and numbness since June. What I've done is to constantly massage my thighs, calves, and feet through out the day. Because I am constantly using my hands, I've slowly progressed from not being able to write, to being able to do so clearly and with more and more control. I try all kinds of activities to increase my hands sensitivity: picking up minute objects (like seeds), shuffling a deck of cards, chopping up vegetables or fruit, squeezing terra-putty. I believe that the constant use and rubbing and massaging activates the veins and the damaged nerves. I've graduated from being unable to walk and had to use a wheel chair, graduating to arm crutches and now use a cane. Although I still feel pain and numbness, I've noticed that my feet are beginning to look normal and have lost their puffy, swollen look.
I've also been eating healthy and exercising. All this plus the conviction that I will get better helps.
greggreyes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote