View Single Post
Old 10-14-2014, 01:56 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon4309 View Post
Betsy
Thank you for sharing.
It sounds like you are on the modified Atkins diet. This diet is good for quick weight loss. Basically it has no limitations on protein just all carbohydrates good and bad. Long term the regular Atkins diet is not healthy. Your modified version is better because you are watching fats and gluten. Just a note..avacodos are high in carbs. The first 5-7 lbs is water weight. I considered going on the standard Atkins diet but there is a problem. I take sinemet which is recommended to be taken with carbs. Proteins are the primary source of food
with Atkins. I would be inhibiting the sinemet and not being able to to do my nutribullet juice (vegetables and fruits) however if this weight trend doesn 't stop
I may be forced to Atkins. You raise some interesting questions. What is glutathione? Weight gain is a side effect of DBS. I have gained 20 lbs in 2 months. Although it is a small price to pay if I am able to walk I do not want to be 300lbs. Currently I am 230 but 6'1" tall. You also mention Mirapex Are the meds you listed working? I can ID with being a sugar addict.
write later Have a nice day.
Damon

Hi Damon,
I read Grain Brain and went on the diet because it was supposed to be neuroprotective and decrease inflammation. Weight loss was a nice bonus. Dr. Perlmutter suggests a daily limit for carbs and says "good" fats are good for the brain and sugar is bad. This diet is supposed to be long term and healthy. I'm not sure what the Adkins diet recommends but I eat fruit just not a lot but lots of vegetables roasted in olive oil. If I hadn't been sick I'm not sure I would have been motivated to give up all my favorite foods but now this is how I plan to continue eating. Diet recommdations are backed up by studies in the book. It's an interesting book written nicely. I got it off Amazon.

I'm really glad you are doing well with the DBS had no idea weight gain could be an issue. When I was first diagnosed with ET I went to see Dr Perlmutter in Naples. He's the one who told me I had PD and ordered a DaT scan and put me on glutathione. I think he may be the only MD prescribing it for PD IV push. It's a compound medication made in his pharmacy (at least I think
he has some ownership). Glutathione is a powerful antioxidant that gets depleted in PD. It's controversial and your mainstream doctors will not recommend you take it. It's prescribed twice a week but I can only manage once a week. It seems to have a calming effect on my tremors and gives me energy. I get better results if the IV infusion is around the time I get acupuncture. It's sold in many forms in health food stores and online.
The meds I'm taking are barely keeping my tremors under control. I don't want to increase the Miraplex because of the side effects in particular fluid retention. I have to manage this very aggressively by wearing lite compression stockings every day. Exercise has done the most for me and meds have helped the tremors. BTW the azilecte is very expensive I buy online from a Canadian pharmacy,the miraplex comes from another pharmacy and costs less at a $1.00/pill.
Take care.
Betsy
Betsy859 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote