View Single Post
Old 10-14-2014, 04:23 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I have a rare immunodeficiency disorder that was inherited from my mother. It largely affects my CD4 count. It can fluctuate from normal to well below normal and it is pretty random. It's also a rare condition and is often difficult to describe to doctors since it isn't categorized. About a year ago I had a bad case of shingles then a year later a small case. I can sometimes get oral thrush 6 or more times a year and feel tired. I had colitis that was almost deadly about 8 years ago and I randomly get candidiasis of the throat. If I get, say the flu, it will last me 2x longer. Basically, my immune system doesn't increase when infected. If I don't get treated right away my immune system would spiral out of control and bring on more infections.

According to the SSA disability rules, it seems that if I have a number of "manifestations" then I qualify. I am worried since I have good years and bad years that it might cause me to receive a long form.

As far as treatment, they looked into giving me an immune transplant but later explained to me that my immune system is too matured for a successful transplant. I could also receive hemoglobin injections but my doctor is unsure of this as well. In my case, it's basically treat the infections as they come. It's possible that in 5 years time some major medical change can occur and a treatment plan may be very effective to me but thus far it's treat as I go.

I received the short form and I think I might be in the "low" category. But I concerned what is meant by "recent" doctor visits and if it always has to be several.
generalblue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote