View Single Post
Old 10-14-2014, 06:01 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Any of us on SSI or SSDI should be prepared to undergo the CDR process as often as once a year or if you're not expected to recover every 7 years or so.

What you're describing doesn't sound like you'd have an easy time being approved for SSI/SSDI if you had a new application. You'd certainly have to stress the issue of environment...

Undergoing the long form CDR is often compared to the original application process. I'm not really sure how you'd fare if you received the long form CDR today.

Qualifying for SSI/SSDI is kind of a strange thing, because some of the rules are terribly antiquated. Using the Dictionary of Occupational Titles is crazy IMO because technology has changed job descriptions so drastically that few match them as written. (The DOT was last updated in the early 1990's.)

It is not at all uncommon for employees to telecommute today, but SS doesn't currently factor in those jobs. They will likely change that policy at some point.

You might consider utilizing the Ticket To Work program: ttp://www.ssa.gov/work/overview.html#a0=0

If your health worsens and you need to go back on SSI/SSDI you aren't required to reapply in the first 5 years I believe.

The Federal government recruits disabled workers: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-overs...ty-employment/

Let's say you could get a job answering calls for a government program, you'd be earning much more than your current benefits (I'm assuming you receive SSI from what you've said) but you'd also be earning credits for SSDI in case your health becomes worse again later on.
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote