View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 01:50 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

[QUOTE=jamiedavis83;1103433]
Quote:
Originally Posted by visioniosiv View Post

Hey Visioniosiv,

We seem to have a lot in common - namely that my instinct has always been that my body is capable of healing itself more than invasive procedures from docs (of which I've had plenty).

I'm currently at a crossroad - and I'd love a bit of insight based on your experience. I've been on Gabapentin for the last year, and quite frankly I'm not sure if it's doing anything. I got myself into remission last fall, then completely reflared and have been stuck cycling for awhile - so really what are the meds doing?

So now I have a choice. Either get myself off the damn chemicals affecting my brain, or attempt to add cymbalta while I'm currently on the gabapentin - since the combo can supposedly be helpful. I hate the idea of adding more meds, but a part of me thinks its logical to try the combo before completely giving up on medication.

Curious your reason for going off - and if you felt like they were actually stifling your body's own ability to heal.

Thanks!

-jamie
Hi Jamie,

My overall reason for going off was because of the things I'd read and intuitively agreed with on long term use of narcotics and other drugs being detrimental to chronic pain sufferers. As far as drugs in general - yes - I wanted a clear head to monitor my progress without it being complicated by side effects. This is not to downplay the positive role they CAN play.

My intent for the drugs was to get me to a place where I could use windows of pain-reduced time for positive physical, mental, (and eventually spiritual) rehabilitation practices. I felt I was lucky for the opiates to have such a pain reducing effect, but also knew and directly experienced that it was temporary - I began to require more and more as my tolerance continued to build.

Besides that, I honestly just loved the high I got from opiates and could feel myself yearning for the next dosage. The pain was decreasing between dosages as a result of the healing regimen I was doing, so I gradually weaned off over about 2 weeks. Was not an easy decision to make or follow through on for me but I'm glad I did.

I was also on Gabapentin for just under a month. I never noticed any specific positive effects that I could attribute to it, and was already making significant improvement at that point with mirror therapy, massage, affirmations, and visualization imagery. But I wasn't sleeping at night, at all. I stopped the Gabapentin on a hunch and literally within 24 hours I was sleeping like a baby - no more insomnia. Who woulda thunk it - (apparently drowsiness is the typical side effect.) So that one was a simple decision for me Plus I had this weird unsettling vaguely "tight" feeling in my chest that I noticed immediately went away as soon as I went off as well.

As you know it's a very individual decision, and medications have drastically different effects on different people. Very much depends on where you are in your own recovery process. I do think our natural state is not to be dependent on synthesized chemicals; but again, quality of life needs to be taken into consideration also.

I do think this is your key sentence: "I hate the idea of adding more meds, but a part of me thinks its logical to try the combo before completely giving up on medication."

What caused your reflare and what is your overall condition like right now? Are you on anything else besides Gabapentin?
visioniosiv is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote