View Single Post
Old 06-07-2007, 09:16 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi dianna,

Yes, hold off on the strength training til your nerves are calmed down and pain is much lower. Slow and steady is KEY. Which is hard because we've concluded many of us were type A's before TOS came along. But there is no fast recovery from this.

In addition to the PT advice which I totally agree with, I would also urge you to take things VERY easy otherwise. Pace yourself throughout the day. Take breaks when doing things around the house. Let others do the heavy lifting and carrying. Don't overdo things on a good day.

There are a few things that have been found to be helpful - warm baths or showers to start/end the day, add epsom salts to bathwater for achy muscles, BioFreeze or Sombra pain cream helps numb painful spots, keep pillows under your arms when sitting, prop books on pillows when reading, when walking tuck hands in pockets or stick thumb through belt loop to keep arms elevated. Avoid repetitive tasks, arrange kitchen cupboards so most oftenly used items are in easy reach, not overhead, use Corelle not heavy stoneware, try to limit your computer time, or at least take a break every 20 minutes or so to walk around, stretch, gently shake out fingers and arms.
Watch your posture! Shoulders back and relaxed, chin back, head straight over your shoulders.

Be gentle with your body. TOS is not something to take lightly, believe me!

All the best,
beth
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote