View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 07:25 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keekans View Post
I just had the surgery at John Hopkins on August 8th. The scs has helped me get off all of my pain meds even my gabapentin. I only take Advil now. I do have a pain in my back which is where my device is implanted. I feel like everyday is getting easier pain wise. I can start physical therapy in two weeks. I can't wait to be able to lift things and stretch. I just need to work really hard to get my life back on track. I do feel like I need therapy to help cope with my fears of re lapsing or getting hurt again. I feel pretty traumatized and I'm embarrassed to admit that to my loved ones.
Trust your instincts and see someone. While your family and friends may be sympathetic, it is unlikely they really understand what you have experienced (I could never have imagined going through anything like this). You might consider finding a mental health provider who specializes in PTSD, chronic pain or CRPS (if you can). Apparently 90% of patients with chronic pain have depression +/- anxiety, so this is a normal part of the process (not that the process is normal). I can't speak to the efficacy of a SCS, but common things being common, you may have a flare or some other injury in the future. Having a plan in place for dealing with that can reduce some of the anxiety and may reduce the impact of the flare. Dr. Michael Moskowitz (Neuroplastix) emphasizes this. However, I really do not want to diminish the trauma you have experienced and the importance of getting help to heal from it.
Kind regards.
firewalker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eevo61 (10-16-2014), Keekans (10-22-2014), ShaggyChic_1201 (11-03-2014)