Thread: Need Advice
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 07:57 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

PaulsMom,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. I am so sorry to hear of your son's injury. My mother went through the same turmoil when I was 10 years old.

First, please try to let go of your idea of him graduating with his friends. He needs to get better much more than he needs to stay on track with a school schedule. Does his school have an odd schedule ? April is not early in a normal 7th grade year. What did he do over the summer ? Has he taken any time off from academics ?

Second, you need to find a new neurologist. He does not sound very knowledgeable. His statement is meaningless.

It is understandable that his school is not offering support. They are likely more concerned about getting sued. Plus, they appear to have no understanding of concussions. They were negligent in how they treated him after the injury. I don't want to scare you but you may need to prepare for a long recovery. Talking with an attorney may be worthwhile. Some of the therapies he may need are not usually covered by insurance.

It would be worthwhile for him to have a Neuro Psychological Assessment.

He needs a low stress environment while he continues to rest and heal. His personality change will be a struggle for all. He may struggle with his friendships. I was abandoned by my friends. You can help him when he gets upset. You will likely notice an upset coming. Being able to direct him to avoid an outburst will be a big help. He needs to have good support as he will likely be very frustrated and confused about these outbursts. He needs to know that they are not 'HIM' but rather his injury. Nobody helped my family understand these issues. I wish I knew how to explain it to a 7th grader. Maybe as you explain more of his struggles, I can help you understand.

Is he doing a private school at home directed by his school or have you put together a true homeschool program for him ? btw, My 3 kids were homeschooled through high school so I understand it well.

More later after you have explained more of what is happening with Paul.

My best to you both.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
poetrymom (10-18-2014), willgardner (10-17-2014)