View Single Post
Old 10-20-2014, 07:56 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannajane View Post
Now that they have confirmed the RSD in my arm my pt wants me to try stress loading therapy and mirror therapy. I am aware of what each are but was hoping anyone could share their personal experiences with the therapies? In November I am also scheduled to have a series of stellate ganglion blocks. Those make me very nervous so if you all have any experience I would also like to hear about it.
Hello Hannajane,

Sorry you are dealing with this!!

Regarding Stellage Ganglion Blocks - you may want to read this and then ask your doctor about an Axillary Nerve Block first instead. Here is the link: http://www.rsdrx.com/rsdpuz4.0/puz_62.htm

Regarding Mirror therapy: This is an invaluable and completely noninvasive form of therapy and is highly recommended especially in the early stages. The more desensitization you can do the better chance you will have at overcoming the sensitivity and fear response which only leads to 'central sensitization'. Mirror therapy has proven successful for many types of nerve pain related syndromes including 'phantom limb', RSD/CRPS, Trigeminal Neuralgia etc., I utilize this along with touch desensitization every day several times a day and recommend it highly.

Stress loading: this is again valuable in that it will help to prevent the pain of disuse and atrophy. The best thing you can do for yourself is to do whatever it takes to keep your hand and arm mobile. Here is a link to an article that explains the benefits - this is noninvasive and is done frequently throughout the day for just a few minutes http://www.rsds.org/pdfsall/ptotbrochure_604.pdf

Keep in mind that with any movement/desensitization therapy you do has to be done frequently throughout the day to gain any benefit. Doing it only in formal PT is not enough. I wish you the best.
zookester is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eevo61 (10-20-2014), Hannajane (10-22-2014), visioniosiv (10-20-2014)