View Single Post
Old 10-21-2014, 09:27 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Dermatitus Herpetaformus, celiac

I am brand new here so here's my story.At 70,I developed DH,I was fortunate at that time to have a dermatologist as a good friend who diagnosed it using a biopsy and staining procedure he told me the insurance companies don't like to have done due to the cost to them.I was also told gluten is the culprit so avoid it by going on a gluten free diet and a prescription for a drug called Dapsone.This drug is used to neutralize the severe itching associated with DH and creates an ability for one to tolerate it until the leisons heal,without the Dapsone you cannot tolerate the itching. The Dapsone healed the itching and allowed me to function sort of normally without the gluten free diet,which I tried for awhile but quickly gave up on due to the complexity and not fully understanding the consequences.Big mistake! Since then have been diagnosed as a celiac and now seven years later,with all kinds of problems with neuropathy,gut aches,gas,bacterial overgrowth,cramps,and whatever else from the Dapsone,anemia,etc.I'm doing the gluten free diet and hope to get some relief.What prompted me to proceed with all this testing is that a year and a half ago I weighed 225,very strong and started to loose weight,I now weigh 135lbs.,have no desire to eat,exercise,or anything.I got a little encouragement from a neurologist that I have low b12,he put me on shots,so far they haven't helped with the shortness of breath,anyone have any ideas on that subject?Thanks,ccardsr
ccardsr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote