View Single Post
Old 10-21-2014, 01:54 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

5) No offense to anyone here, but one big rule of thumb is not to completely trust the brain injured person for information about themselves. Sometimes my daughter would say, "I had a great day, I feel good." Then the next day she would say, "Oh yeah, I went to the nurse's office with a headache twice yesterday it was awful." Or when she told the neuro, "I'm having two or three headaches a day," only to say at the next appointment, "I'm down to having two or three headaches a day, before I had a constant headache most days." She was seeing double for most of the year but didn't really realize it.
It takes a lot of energy for the injured person to describe how they are feeling in a way that the caregiver can understand. They simply don’t have the energy, or feel so bad, that they don’t provide the information you might need to help them make decisions. You must learn to observe. Those scary, glassy-eyed stares should be read as neon signs saying, “closed for business…temporarily shut down”. It’s tempting to try to get the person to re-engage, talk, whatever when that happens but that’s when they really need to rest.
This is a good reminder for me. My husband's brain injury as a child progressed, we believe, into the periodic nighttime seizures he has now, and until i read this part of your post, it simply did not occur to me that his persistent lack of decision-making and constant changes in response to any conversational stimulus could be attributed to this. not once.

6) You MUST advocate for your person. Research any symptoms that might respond to some kind of treatment (i.e. ambient vision, hormone/adrenal/thyroid issues, vestibular problems). It's up to you to research and find the right docs to help. You must also help them navigate through school or work or household responsibilities and especially help with personal relationships to reduce stress. Help them make decisions so that they don’t hurt themselves again (i.e. sledding is a bad idea right now, wear shoes with traction, eat your protein, etc.).
[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]I would second and third this statement: my hub was not put on antidepressants until i did some research and found that most people coping with seizures from a head injury are on anti depressants.i was rather appalled that the doc didn't seem to be aware of this or perhaps simply didn't care. it may be time to find another doc now after reading all of these comments though. i've been worried about leaving the doc he's been seeing for years, but in hindsight, it is time. he's never liked the doc anyway.[/COLOR]

i am still searching. my hub's mood swings after each seizure are roller coaster worthy. i never know who will emerge from the seizure: jekyll or hyde. i do hope it gets better. the seizures may never go away. we are searching for alternatives to the medication he takes for them however.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Concussed Scientist (11-27-2014), Hockey (10-21-2014)