View Single Post
Old 10-21-2014, 02:50 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Just Be Aware

Hi Smithy, sorry to hear of your neurological issues but glad you found us! Hope you get some answers soon.

In the meantime, just wanted to address the withdrawal from the benzo. Did your prescribing physician give you a written schedule for tapering down and off of this med?

Trying to withdraw from a benzo on your own is dangerous. You could have a clonic-tonic brain seizure if you titrate too fast, and even in the best of circumstances, there is a whole host of symptoms which accompany benzo withdrawal you should be aware of. These symptoms can continue way past the point where you are physically able to stop taking the benzo altogether; for example, 'depersonalization' and 'derealization' can last as long as 18 months. These and other effects are bloody awful, but it helps to know what's going on and what you can anticipate experiencing as you titrate down and OFF of this type of med.

For more info on this, as well as support while you are going through the process, there is a website you may want to check out called benzobuddies (I believe). As I recall, one aspect of meds in this class is that over time, they can actually start recreating the very symptoms they were originally designed to treat. You might be experiencing some of this - perhaps it will help to explain the cognitive issues you mention?

Regardless, I commend you on your decision to discontinue this med. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of some of the difficulties (cognitively and otherwise) you may be in for, and the importance of having a physician supervise your withdrawal. When I went through this a couple of years ago for lorazepam, I worked with an addictionologist rather than the prescribing physician (who frankly did not seem to know much about benzo withdrawal). This may be something for you to consider, depending on how willing and how able your prescribing physician is to oversee your withdrawal in all of its aspects.

Wish you the best of luck, both in the resolution of your neurological issues and in getting off of the clonazepam. Please keep posting, let us know how you're doing!

Alison

Last edited by Sea Pines 50; 10-21-2014 at 02:57 PM. Reason: yes, i have one. who wants to know? ha ha
Sea Pines 50 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote