Thread: Root canal
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2014, 07:56 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Vowel Lady,

Well the xray is gone now so I cannot take another look. But from what I recall, #31 appeared to have a large deep area of decay on the mesial (this surface of tooth is in between 30 and 31) and the occlusal (biting surface) portion of the tooth. It could also be a large chip off of the tooth but it looks too similar to the decay on #31. So I'm leaning towards decay.

The problem with deep decay in a tooth is that when it is all removed, the dentist has to clean beyond the decay to remove any residual bacteria. So if the pulp wasn't exposed from the decay, it is often exposed during the rest of the removal. Depending on the amount of exposure, sometimes a medicated filling can be put in to try and heal it. But the area has to be really small for that treatment to be effective. The longevity of medicated fillings varies.

If your relative is not an established patient of the dentist or she is but she rarely goes to him or has preventive dental care, and she went in because the tooth was bothering her, he may have just focused on that tooth assuming she didn't want to know about the other one. I know, that is stupid, but it happens all the time :/ The endodontist may have figured the same thing... again :/

Periodic xrays called bite wings would have detected both of these problems at the onset of the decay. That is why I assume she either avoids seeing the dentist or she avoids having xrays....or both.

Wish she was more open to her alternatives. But she has to decide what she thinks is best for her.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vowel Lady View Post
Many many thanks Bryanna.
She is leaning toward the root canal.
I find it weird that neither the dentist nor the endo mentioned 31.
(31!!!!!! )
Why the hxxxx didn't the dentist or the endo mention 31? (Believe me I am NOT questioning you, I am questioning THEM...and that is not a rhetorical question...why wouldn't they mention it?)
Also, does 31 have ANY hope AT ALL with a filing or maybe a filing and bonding or something?
I don't get it. Maybe if they leave it alone it will be a big money maker or something.
Just don't trust these guys.

Very much appreciate your input even though the news is

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Vowel Lady (10-22-2014)