View Single Post
Old 10-22-2014, 09:33 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I received the first two rounds of RabAvert rabies vaccine (immunoglobbulin plus initial vaccine and then the 2nd vaccine a couple days later) for bat exposure. There was a bat in the house in our daughters' room when my wife woke up in the middle of the night and found a bat flying around their room. The county health department was notified by our landlord, and they in turn called us and insisted that everyone in the home get the rabies vaccine since we couldn't confirm how long the bat was in our house and no one witnessed it entering. NOTE TO GOOGLE SEARCHERS - IF THERE IS A BAT IN THE HOUSE (OR YOU ARE EXPOSED/BITTEN BY A POTENTIALLY RABID ANIMAL) CATCH IT AND HAVE IT TESTED FOR RABIES!!! It could save you lots of pain.

Anyhow, about 2 hours after the 2nd shot I began to feel pins and needles, numbness, and tingling in the arm where the shot was administered and it spread to my left foot and put my brain into a deep fog. I finally went to bed around 2 AM and felt somewhat better besides the pesky light tingling in my left foot in the AM. But symptoms would creep in each day since then. I received the 2nd shot on Aug 8th, so about 2 1/2 months ago, and I have been on a roller coaster ride of side effects ever since then. Luckily, perhaps even by the grace of God, neither of my two daughters nor my wife have experienced any of these symptoms and I wish it to stay that way.

My left foot/leg and left hand/arm are most affected it seems - although it does not discriminate since at times both legs and both arms are tingling/pins/needles and even occasionally go a bit numb. But most of the time it is my left leg/foot and my left hand/forearm that flare up. It comes and goes all throughout the day - and recently it went away for about a week. Then, about a month ago, during the week of not much tingling/pins/numbness, my eyes would feel sore and I would get headaches multiple times a day. Now all symptoms come on daily at vary degrees of strength. For example, I awoke in the middle of the night a few times with both arms numb and tingly and my heart would race and beat irregularly. Today, I awoke to tingling and pins in both my feet and the foggy mind that tns spoke of in the first post. I make it to work just about every day as I have a desk job, but there have been days where I cannot put 2 and 2 together and my body feels like it is falling apart and I have had to stay home twice now in the last 2 months and I fear it will be more.

I feel my condition peaked around week 4-6 - but it is hard to tell if things have gotten worse, esp since there was a week of almost symptom-less days in between. If anything, I am about the same, maybe a bit worse than weeks 4-6. I have a laundry list of symptoms, but I'll list them all in order of what bothers me most currently:

Tingling/Numbness/Pins&Needles in feet/hands/legs/arms(60-80% of the time - different limbs one day to the next) - brought on a limp in my left leg since it is most affected so far
foggines in thought(70%)
fatigue/just plain slow at doing things (60-70%)
headaches(50% of the time)
eye pain/discomfort (behind eyes mostly)(50%)
facial numbness (cheeks, rarely lips)(25%)
muscle/joint pain - mostly knees, sometimes forearms and wrists (20%)
heartbeat skips (10%)
neck pain (10%)

Tns and ATX both spoke of having somewhat similar symptoms and now poor SaraBee's daughter, but I am very curious about all symptoms others have had and the time table of when they came/went and when they began to feel better.

Thanks everyone for making and adding to this post. These posts and other sites are all I have right now. I have a nuero appointment this week, but who knows what that will lead to.
loominator is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
baba222 (10-26-2014), hopeful (10-23-2014), Kitt (10-23-2014), Prince227 (04-14-2021), Tobius (11-12-2019)