View Single Post
Old 06-08-2007, 09:31 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up

Hi dogtorj, yes i have and your info is very interesting, i was about to post about the GB as i to think i may be suffering from the same thing as the brain can be damaged from what i understand by gb. it's can also have alot ot do with Ramsay hunt syndrome. so i think this fellow is correct. sometime when you look back on your history , silly things make heap of sense. the shingle virus can cause serious damage to the nerves on your brain. any way docj i sent a quick email to your site the other day to congratulate you on your findings ive been gluten free for 17 months now and many people think it can help cure or reduse all kinds of things. especaily those with auto immune dificulies as most of us whith gluten sensitivity have. or will get eventualy .have you read about dr M Hadjivassiliou , i tell you now i'm proof of life without gluten casien can make a heap of difference in ones life even with out a serious illness. i believe its the devils grain. keep up your great work .hee hee. jen form Australia.
GLUTEN ATAIXIA (SENSITIVITY)
"Gluten sensitivitiy as a neurological Illness" by , R A Grunewald, G A B Davies-Jones:
also from a site called the gluten file which takes all the work out of you're serching, fantastic. i havnet been diagnosed for E yeat , but they suspect i have E or MS. seizure of some types very scarey stuff right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogtorJ View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am sort of new on this forum but spent a fair amount of time on BrainTalk so many of you are familiar with my work in the area of epilepsy. Yes, I am "just" a veterinarian but now speak at both veterinary and human conferences on this topic. The response to the elimination diet that I talk so much about has been phenomenal and part of the reason it does work is that the immune system becomes healthy enough to deal with the viral "culprits" in epilepsy.

Many epilepsy sufferers have not been told that viruses are known causes of seizures. The fact is that there are over 25 viruses KNOWN to causes seizures in people, many of which are ubiquitous (e.g. the Herpes and paramyxovirus families, including Epstein Barr, Herpes simpex, measles, mumps, Coxsackie viruses,and many more) I would encourage all of you to do some creative Internet searches for "virus, epilepsy", etc and see this for yourselves. There was a very recent news alert to this effect on Yahoo (http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medi...&nfid=rssfeeds ).

This should all make TOTAL sense to people. There is a myriad of viruses that love the central nervous system. And many of them have a real affinity for the glial cells (astrocytes and oligodendricytes) that support the neuron and regulate the levels of neurotransmitters (e.g glutamate) at the synapse. This is one of the main reasons why "the G.A.R.D"....the glutamate/aspartate restricted diet...works soooo well to help control seizures, as it dramatically reduces the work load of these dysfunctioning cells and puts a great Band Aid on the epilepsy situation. But, the long-term solution comes from the same diet that helps to reverse the immune failure and tissue ill health that set the stage for the viral uprising to begin with.

It is interesting and very explainable why people have histories like the one above. Many of our viral infections do not come and go but rather come and stay. As I am fond of saying, "If I could do a Star Trek type of scan on your body and give you a print out of the viruses you have in there, once you got over the shock of that news, you might just be motivated to take better care of yourself, eh?" Some infections are "diphasic", with the initial infection causing some signs while other symptoms arise later once the individual fails to control the infection OR continues to bombard these viruses with things that "make them mad", as explained below.

Latent viruses are involved in many of the disease "syndromes" with which we are afflicted, including epilepsy and cancer. I like to use cancer as the parallel to illustrate the difference between "causes" and "triggers". For example, carcinogens do not cause cancer. ("Say what???"). No, they don't. VIRUSES cause cancer. Carcinogens incite the virus into causing the cancer. I am convinced that most of you reading this will hear, in your lifetime, that all cancer is viral. Researchers have been saying this for years and years. It's what viruses do. It is those ugly things we call "carcinogens" that trigger those viruses into causing cancer. But, that alone is not enough for us to develop cancer. We also have to experience some degree of immune failure in order to get the "big C". So, it is a triad of factors...viruses, carcinogens, and immune failure...that come together to yield the resulting cancer. That is what we call a "syndrome".

Epilepsy is also a syndrome and the parallel is probably already quite clear. We are loaded with viruses that have thwe potential to cause seizures. Epstein-Barr is one such Herpes virus. 50% of our kids in the US have Epstein-Barr by age 5 and 95 % of Americans over age 40 have this guy in their body. Why don't we all have seizures if he can cause them? Because we don't have the right cofactors in place to make it happen. And there are many cofactors in epilepsy, including diet (HUGE!!!!), air quality (also HUGE), hormonal influences, lifestyles, and many other things that affect our immune systems and health of the central nervous system, liver, kidneys, and endocrine systems, all of which can play vital roles.

Of all of these factors, diet is clearly THE most important. This is very easy to see once we understand what is required for our brains, bodies and immune systems to stay healthy and operate optimally. The "big 4" (gluten, dairy, soy and corn) are the who's who of what is wrong with foods, as they damage our gut's ability to absorb nutrients (e.g. celiac disease), shower our body with damaging proteins (lectins), load us up with staggering levels of "excitotoxins" (glutamate and aspartate) and pound us with estrogens. As a result, tissue health suffers, immunity fails, enzyme systems go down, and the Pandora's Box of viruses is opened wide. The bottom line is that viruses don't like certain things hurled at them (e.g. lectins, chemicals, pollution) and when they react to these noxious stimuli, we had better hope that we have a competent immune system to put down their rebellion. If not, we suffer the full blown syndrome, whether it be epilepsy, cancer, or the myriad of things we love to call "autoimmmune disorders". These things are not as "idiopathic" as we have all been led to believe.

I think you will see how your medical histories all line up with this once you fully grasp the role (and ultimate purpose) of viruses in nature and our bodies. They are not the malicious critters that we have labeled them to be. They are just doing their job. It is what WE are throwing at them that is the real issue. We are literally forcing them into becoming pathogens.

As Pogo so wisely stated, "We have met the enemy and he is us."

I hope this helps,
John
jenD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote