View Single Post
Old 10-24-2014, 11:35 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Son with ocular MG

Hello,

My 17-year-old son was diagnosed with a positive blood antibody AcHR test this past Sept. His symptoms are double vision and droopy eye.

He has been on Mestinon 60mg 3x daily and was started slowly on prednisone 6 weeks ago, now been at 60mg prednisone 1x per day for the past 4 weeks.

The left eye was unable to turn left but once we hit 60mg, after almost 2 weeks, it moves again. The eyes look wonderful, lids perfect, etc. Thank God. But he still is wearing the eye patch as he has double vision all day long.

Saw neuro this week, he is starting to change his pred dosage to create an every other day schedule, to give his adrenals a chance to recover. He wants us to add Imuran soon as he weans him off the prednisone.

I read that Imuran has a slight risk of a deadly form of lymphoma in adolescent males and skin cancer (which runs in the family - he gets checked all the time). I am hoping this eye snaps back into shape before I have to put him on another drug.

Any advice anyone can offer would be great. I am reading everything I can from past posts as well. Do any young men on here take Imuran? CellCept and cyclosporine are options as well for him but I don't really want to start any new drug if this vision issue can be zapped out and controlled without them. I'm sure he will probably have to take one of the steroid-sparing immunosuppressants one day, but hopefully when he is older. I hope this eye works again so I don't have to make this decision now.

Thanks,
Tammy
Tva123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote