View Single Post
Old 10-24-2014, 01:51 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hi Annie,

Thanks for your reply! You are very informative.

The neuro started him on 10 mg pred, went up to 60 because his eye was frozen - couldn't turn left. I took him to a neuro opthalmologist and also to an MG expert at Mt. Sinai Hospital in Manhattan and they all agreed on the treatment, so I stuck with it.

His regular neuro said he is slowly moving him to every other day prednisone. He's currently on 60mg per day and the schedule is to be as follows:

This week: 70 mg one day / 50 mg the next day, etc.
Next week: 80 mg one day / 40 mg the next day, etc.
Following week: 80 mg one day / 30 mg the next day, etc.
Following week: 80 mg one day / 20 mg the next day, etc.

This is to go on for weeks and he said the alternating day eventually will be eliminated after time and give the adrenals a chance to "wake up" on that off day.

This slow movement doesn't sound like something that would cause an adrenal crisis, does it? It makes sense.

I worry about him wanting to add Imuran during week 4 to compensate and get into the system before he lowers the prednisone any further. I really don't want him to take Imuran right now if his eye gets better.

Currently he has ocular MG, but I gave emergency info to his teachers and school and I spoke with him about what could happen and what to do if emergency. I hope to God this doesn't happen to him. I would think there could be warning or build up of other symptoms first from going from eye probs to breathing crisis.

I will be asking for help often! I appreciate your guidance. It is scary. Thank God there are drugs for this but now I have to help decide which ones until he can decide for himself one day.

I will be making another visit to Mt. Sinai before deciding on adding another drug. I hope this eye continues to improve and stabilizes so we can see how low we can go with the meds and keep the eye working correctly.

Tammy
Tva123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (10-24-2014)