View Single Post
Old 10-24-2014, 04:51 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tva123 View Post

My 17-year-old son was diagnosed with a positive blood antibody AcHR test . . .
Tammy,

Welcome to the forum. It is a great place for sharing knowledge and support.

Here are two links to helpful resources.

The first is a free PDF document from the Myasthenia Gravis Foundation of America (MGFA). You can download and print a copy.

Myasthenia Gravis: A Manual for the Health Care Provider (PDF)

The second is great primer on Myasthenia Gravis from the Medical News Today Knowledge Center:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/179968.php

========================

Imuran is an immune suppressor. Immune suppressors can take 3 to 6 months before they become effective. Also do a bit a research on Imuran and the other popular choice, Cellcept. Most here favor Cellcept. One of my former Stanford neurologist strongly recommended Imuran. My other former Stanford neurologist strongly recommended Cellcept. What's a patient to do?

Have your neurologists mentioned the thymus? Approximately 15% of MG patients have a tumor in the thymus gland, usually benign. Have your neurologists order a chest CT Scan? If there is an issue with the thymus, it can be removed. The good news is that a thymectomy has greater success rates for the young.

Tapering off of Prednisone is a tricky thing. My first taper failed badly, ending in a major MG crises that required a 6-day stay the hospital, and a 5-day course of IVIG. In short, my first taper dropped too quickly, and without the introduction of an immune suppressor.

This time around I am reducing my Prednisone dose by 5 mg every two weeks. From a high of 60 mg, I am now at 45 mg for another week, then dropping to 40 mg for two more weeks. This time aground I am also taking 1500 mg of Cellcept. I have been taking Cellcept for 3 months now. By the time I get down to 15 mg of Prednisone each day, I will have been on the Cellcept for 6 months.

-Mark-

Last edited by Panorama; 10-24-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Panorama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (10-24-2014)