View Single Post
Old 10-25-2014, 07:36 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Off topic--but this will amuse many (especially Melody)

In the "just because we have neuropathy doesn't mean we can't have a lot of other stuff happen to us" department:

I seem to have developed a meniscal tear in my left knee.

I'd been having some swelling, popping, occasional locking of it over the last month or so, so I decided I did need to get it checked out (I do very much rely on my legs, like to do a lot of walking, etc.). Plain x-rays were normal, but an MRI did show a small, but rather definite meniscal fragment poking up in the synovial joint space.

Fortunately, it still seems to be "attached"--no cartilage piece has broken off--so we're going to go conservative for a while--rest, ice, elevation, compression, physical therapy, and the like, and watch it over the months. I do know these injuries are common and often take a very long time to heal, especially as we get older and the cartilage deteriorates, and the area does not have a great blood supply in even the best of circumstances to promote healing--the reason so many of these result in surgery (but I'd like to avoid that if I could).

Unlike Melody and her dancing exhibition, I don't have any definite injury incident I can point to that may have caused this, although I understand that this can result from wear over time--and I've certainly done enough over 54 years (running, basketball, and the like) that I shouldn't be too surprised. I'm just annoyed because with all the other stuff that's gone on with me, I have never had a knee/leg injury before beyond the occasional bruise.

My biggest worry beyond lack of healing leading to surgery would be that having to cut down on the amount of walking I do will result in weight gain, and I will have to modify my diet accordingly. (Sigh. I did like those gluten-free oatmeal cookies.)

Last edited by glenntaj; 10-26-2014 at 07:25 AM.
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
en bloc (10-25-2014), hopeful (10-26-2014), mrsD (10-25-2014)