Thread: Crafty MSers
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 04:10 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I decided on knitting it in garter stitch. (which I'm actually purling, because I purl better than I knit. Purling each row gives you garter stitch, just like if you were knitting.)

I think it's a boucle yarn. It's bumpy, and is really squishy. Reason I decided to knit it is because I think it might be handspun. There's some parts of the yarn strand that's very thin. Some of it's very thick. I don't like crocheting with yarn that goes thick to thin. When I crochet, I like the yarn to be a nice uniform size.

Normally I'm not a fan of boucle, but this one is just really nice. (it better be nice! I paid a lot for it!)

Like the colors too. It's also a handpainted yarn. There's, green, purple, pink, red shades to it. I cast on about 20 stitches, and I've probably purled about five rows now. (counting rows in boucle is impossible. Stitches get lost in the bumpies) So far, I like it. Feels like it's going to be a warm scarf. I think the yarn is a wool with some sort of acrylic blend. Also pretty sure it's more wool than acrylic. The yarn band is inside the yarn cake that the store owner rolled it up for me. (for the non-yarn people here, some yarn is sold in hanks, and has to be wound up into a ball by hand, or a "yarn cake" with a yarn winder before it can be used, otherwise you'd end up with a big tangle of yarn)

Because she put the yarn band, with all the info inside the yarn cake, I'm a little hesitant to fish that out of the center. Don't want to ruin the structural integrity of the yarn cake just yet. So glad that the store owner will wind the yarn for free. I don't have a swift at home. I have a winder, but I don't use yarn sold in hanks enough to justify buying a swift.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote