View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 04:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnt View Post
I found the talk, "Moving Better with Parkinson's Disease", given by Brach Poston very interesting.

There is a good chance that tDCS is a technology that would reduce the symptoms for millions of PwP around the world by at least 10%. The cost is so low and the ease of use so straight forward that, were there the will, every PwP could be using tDCS in less than a year. As it happens, I suspect I will be disappointed by the slow turning of the wheel of the regulatory process.

John
The problem with tDCS is similar to that with repurposed generic drugs, there's no money in it to be made by the manufacturers and their investors. That's why all of the current research is taking place in academia and no device companies are conducting any research. It really is a shame. Just think of the millions of dollars spent every year on rodent studies that never lead to anything useable. While the same amount of money into something like tDCS would rather quickly tell us if it works and what the side effects are, if any. The only way to change this is for PWP to speak their opinions. Get involved with advocacy groups, like PAN. When you donate to organizations, state your opinion on where you think the funds should be spent. As individuals we have little impact. But, as a group, we are very powerful. It's just a matter of proper organization and applying pressure in the right places.
Tupelo3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
johnt (10-27-2014), lab rat (10-29-2014), soccertese (10-27-2014), Stand Tall (10-27-2014)