View Single Post
Old 10-27-2014, 02:32 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingforacure View Post
Girija, could you please share with us your experience on how the DBS is going as well as how you feel the nicotine patch works for you?
hi lurkingforcure,
It will be a year since my DBS in Nov. I am still trying to get DBS program fine tuned and meds adjusted accordingly. I developed sharp pain in my left lower back and a "pulling" pain in my left arm after DBS and this pain gets worse with increasing voltage to the right brain. one reason for this may be that the electrode is slightly off from STN (target site). My right side is doing great. I am hoping to get DBS programing to work for me, if not I might have to go for "revision" surgery to get the probe placed in the right spot.

Lately, I have been reading or hearing about nicotine patch quite a bit. I was very encouraged by a researcher's talk (lab expts, not human trials) on nicotine effects on brain and decided to give it a try. Nicotine has a great potential as a drug for PD, but I doubt if it will ever goes into clinical trials here. I suppose after 10 years of PD and lack of any new drug in the horizon, I am back to doing experiments.

Girija
girija is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote